Hi! Sometimes we are searching for specific positions, but we are always interested in hearing from worthwhile candidates. So, even if there is not a specific listing below you are applying for we encourage anyone looking to join our team to reach out. Thank you!
All interested candidates please email using the link at the bottom of the page. No calls or pop-ins, please! If there are multiple job listings, please make sure to indicate which job you are applying for.
We encourage and support further education through SCA events and other venues. The right person will be seeking out new educational opportunities to learn and we will be excited to support them.
Please send resume and cover letter with any and all relevant information as well as sharing one personal story from the last year that helped you grow/evolve (or just feel good for whatever reason) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please DO NOT call or drop in.
Who we are
We are a 2020 and 2022 Good Food Award winning small-batch, specialty coffee roaster located on the outer reaches of beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. We are both Fair Trade and organic certified although not all the coffees we roast fall under those identifiers as it would limit our ability to bring in certain microlots, geshas and the like. We embrace a range of roasting styles from nordic to tasty darker roasts.
This is an opportunity for the right candidate as we are coming off an incredibly strong year and want to continue to evolve and improve in every way.
You will be a key part of our next stage of growth and someone who will further strengthen our team bond and coffee culture from both a personal and professional standpoint.
We are looking for a local (Cape Cod) person interested in learning about coffee and coffee roasting. A production roaster follows established profiles for each type of coffee roasted here using our coffee roasting software. Once trained you will be responsible for most of the coffee roasted on any given workday. On a very basic level, you typically weigh out green/raw coffee and load it into a roaster. Then you will release the coffee into the roaster at a specific temperature. You will closely follow established temperature changes at specific time/temp marks and ultimately release the then roasted coffee into a cooling tray. Once sufficiently cool, you will drop the roasted coffee into a food grade bin/bucket, mark it with the coffee type and bring it over to the packaging station/staff. Then repeat this process for each roast scheduled that day.
This job is a bit physical (moving green and roasted coffee around) and takes a high level of concentration and attention to detail.
We would love to find someone with coffee roasting experience, but we will fully train this position. Just bring a hunger to learn and a good attitude. This is a starter position with definite room to move up for the right candidate.
- Responsible for day-to-day roasting to fill all orders.
- Receiving and organizing of green coffee deliveries
- Sample roasting (maybe)
- Routinely set-up, partake in and break down cuppings with various members of our staff.
- Daily and weekly cleaning of roasters (Mill City 20kg and Probat P12/1) and roasting area
- Help with maintenance and repair of roasters (team effort)
- Contributes constructive suggestions.
- Other duties as needed. Flexibility is a must.
Speak and understand English proficiently.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required.
- Coffee roasting experience preferred but not required.
- Competence with Cropster roasting software preferred (if not, we will train).
- Q-grader not required, but is definitely a positive. After one complete year here you will qualify for our 50% cost coverage for your first Q-grader exam.
- Regularly required to see, hear, taste, smell and talk.
- Must be able to lift up to 150 lbs of green coffee just off of the ground and regularly lift full buckets of coffee weighing 15 to 36 lbs into loader/hoppers.
- Requires the ability to stand and walk the roasting area for most if not all of the work day.
- Regularly requires bending, squatting, sitting and competent arm and hand motion.
- Perfumes, colognes, body sprays, etc. are not allowed as it negatively affects our ability to taste and smell coffees.
- We will train you to operate our reach truck (kind of like a forklift), but this is a necessary part of the job.
- Warehouse environment. Tall ceilings. Open space.
- Roast machines have gas burners and hot surfaces. Careful attention to detail is needed to prevent fires.
- Green coffee is somewhat dusty.
- The noise level is usually moderate to high from multiple machines in use.
- $20 per hour.
- Yearly and seasonal bonuses.
- 3 weeks paid time off (includes vacation and sick days). Eligible after 6 months of employment. If full-time.
- Weekly coffee take home allowance (extra during the holiday season to give as gifts)
- 30% employee discount on most retail goods
Please send resume/job history and cover letter with any and all relevant information to email@example.com. Please DO NOT call or drop in.
Beanstock Coffee Roasters, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.